Friday, December 21, 2007

PART III: Palm Canyon Trail and the Oasis


Ben and I hiked from our campsite down the Palm Canyon Trail to find an oasis. The trail is a three-mile round trip hike through the desert. Ben and I took the somewhat more ambiguous and circuitous "Alternate Trail" so I'm not exactly sure how long it was but I know it wasn't as clearly marked as the trail they advertised in our trail guide. However, we DID find the oasis and it was pretty amazing. This is where people usually spot Bighorn Sheep drinking along the waters edge. Unfortunately, we didn't spot any on our hike. My only regret was not bringing more water on the hike because the sound of running water in the hot desert sure does make me thirsty. Luckily, it was mostly a downhill hike to get back to Tater and fresh, cold drinking water!




Setting off on the Palm Canyon Alternate Trail


















A view towards our campsite














Me and an ocotillo


















A cool cactus














The oasis


















Bridge over untroubled waters


















Ben at the oasis

















I still can't believe we found running water in the desert!


















A view of the oasis looking back from whence we came














The palm grove

No comments: