Saturday, March 15, 2008

Ponderings



A Tribute to the Leather Tramp

A couple weeks ago, Ben, Lola and I got a taste of the leather tramp lifestyle when we dropped Tater off for some auto repairs and the shop kept him overnight for two nights. We were lucky enough to have Mule for transportation, but we spent a good portion of two days walking around strapped with backpacks, searching for places to to spend what seemed like countless hours. We had lunch, read books and napped in Presidio Park. We watched dogs frolicking at Dog Beach while we lounged in the sand talking about life. We were lucky enough to sleep in the hotel each night. While it may sound like a relaxing respite, I feel a sort of empathy for the people who live on the streets everyday - carrying their belongings on their backs, unprotected from the elements, searching for a place to lay their head each day or night. It was one of the most tiring experiences of my life. By the time we picked up Tater on Friday afternoon, I curled up on the couch and fell into a sleep so deep I thought I'd never wake up!





Size Doesn't Matter

Many people can’t imagine how Ben and I tolerate each other living in such a tiny space and we are often asked how we are adjusting to living in Tater. I’ll admit before we moved in, we both expected the transition might be a little uncomfortable. (I think the concern had more to do with condensing our belongings, and less to do with the effect downsizing would have on our relationship). Regardless, the transition has not been difficult. Ben and I both agree that if you find a person to whom you are well-suited, you enjoy spending time together. And it doesn’t matter how small your home is. If we couldn't tolerate each other in this small space, we probably couldn’t tolerate each other in a mansion either!

No comments: