Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving


Ben and I don't really celebrate holidays, at least not in the traditional way. I find it especially disconcerting to celebrate a holiday that came about by bullying the Indians off their land. But that doesn't mean I am not thankful for things in my own life. Coincidentally, the day before Thanksgiving, I finished reading a book called Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea, the true story of a man who survived 76 days in a life raft in the Carribbean. The story really prompted me to reflect on what is really important in life.


I think what is most important to me is not to compete for the best job, the biggest house, the most expensive car... but rather to live as simply as I can and leave only a tiny footprint on this earth. So many people take things for granted and if they never step out of their comfort zone, they will never understand the negative impact this has on the world. If everyone did their part, no matter how small they think it is, we'd all reap the benefits, or more importantly, our children would reap the benefits.


Anyone can live in a house, drive a car, watch cable television on their giant flat screen. Some people can't understand how I've given up nearly everything I owned to live a simple lifestyle. To them, I explain that it's easy. Once you let go of all the things you thought gave you status, your entire mindset changes and you begin to realize that status doesn't come from money and material objects... status comes simply from being able to survive with as little as possible...





No comments: